Friday, February 6, 2009

"The little cells that could . . ."

Some of you reading this may already know I am a medical research scientist and as well a certified arborist, (professional tree-hugger). So being either in the lab doing science or being outdoors loving the creation, sometimes I see things that blow me away in their significance.

Case in point 1:

HL cardiomyocyte cells (heart cells) that I work with have very strange ways about them. The Creator God designed them to work quite well for a long time in many creatures. So what’s so unique about them? And what is the deep truth these little things show us?

Let’s first imagine that each cell represents one person, one believer in the Lord Jesus. Then let’s imagine each cell has a purpose. Further imagine that God has a large vision for ALL his children. He wants us to grow up, to mature and to be His servants. But there is a catch – He wants no “Lone Rangers” for God, no self-made ones. Consider the reality that He wants us to be One, in community, maturing together, serving Him and each other.

This is all very much what is called “Organic Christianity” versus what we see today, something I call “organized churchianity”.

Back to the cells . . .

I will grow them in a flask, which has rectangular dimensions. I add a liquid diet called “media” (cell food), which is perfect for them to grow and thrive within. I moderate even the atmospheric conditions and isolate them in a controlled temperate environment. Into that perfect world, I will introduce a few cells. If I have done all things right, without modifying the protocol, they will split (reproduce themselves) and “community” of cells will keep growing and multiplying until they completely cover the bottom of the flask. Cells like to adhere to the flask’s bottom, take their place, and grow.

So that’s about it. So what’s so unique about these guys?

First off, while they are growing, as little islands of cells in the media sea, they just sit there looking like cells. Nothing cool yet . . . When they finally cover the whole “floor” or bottom of the flask, something amazing happens -- THEY BEGIN TO BEAT! That’s right, once they are confluent, reaching the full capacity of the flask, each island of cells touches its neighbor and they are all connected – THEY WAKE UP to their purpose! The individual cells become islands of cells and then a community that is then mature. And what happens? They somehow speak to each other and they naturally begin to do what heart cells do – they beat! What else is so amazing is that they beat IN UNISON. No cell is left out. What they were born to do, they each and all together do.

And guess what? No cell is in charge. There is no leader, no director to say, “BEAT now!” It’s in each cell’s DNA, in each one’s nature to know when to do what they should do – even together without any brain cells to direct them!

The Lord said to me when I saw this, “That is how My ones, My Church, My Body is to function. I am your Creator, your Head, and your Leader. My purpose, My Life, My Spirit, My eternal plan, My DNA is in each one of you! I have provided ALL you need to be My People. No man need direct or lead you in what is already in you to do. My Spirit will help, lead, guide and teach you all truth.”


Case in point 2:

If that’s not amazing enough, then one day, the Lord allowed me to see something else about these cells. One week, we were going to need cells to be ready for tests that lasted for 4 days. I decided that I had to modify protocol a bit to avoid cells being ready on a day too late in the week. I avoid working on weekends. So, to do that, I decreased the usual number of cells introduced into the flask on the Friday before an experimental week, to effect an exact day when they would be matured and beating. I played “God” so to speak and decided to make the cells obey my way of doing things. Hey, it had worked with other cells before, so why not these special cells too?

Sadly, the cells grew in odd ways, atypical of what I had observed before and when they seemed mature and filled the flask, they rarely were beating, if at all. I couldn’t figure it out. Only small areas seemed to beat while others sat there still. Where was the unity, the precise beating, as if each cell knew what to do? There was instead, confusion and random beats – a nonfunctional mess!

What was wrong? Then my colleague asked me what I had done with these cells different. Nothing came to my mind. Then I remembered I had lowered the initial concentration of cells to start the culture. She informed me that THAT was what was wrong. She said, “These cells need to talk to each other, to remind their neighbor who they are. When you added too few, they were isolated from each other, so they just grew in whatever manner they decided best. So many of them never matured. These cells must grow in community and speak to each other as they grow to reach functional maturity.”

I said, “Oh, I am sorry I modified the protocol.” She said that was fine since I didn’t know about these cells’ special needs. She left and I sat there, amazed yet again, more truth from the Lord via these meager cells, flooded my soul. WOW!
Not only do these little cells speak of the Lord’s being the Leader of His organic and living Church but these cells spoke to me of the need for us to remind one another and encourage one another. We must speak to one another as to WHO WE REALLY ARE IN CHRIST and what HIS PURPOSE is for us. If we try to live the Christian life on our own, even with ALL the best food out there and perfect conditions provided us – we will not mature into HIS FULLEST purpose for His Church. Jesus has planned community, communal faith, to mature us and help us stay on target, manifesting His fullness.


What an amazing Lord He is!

3 comments:

  1. What an amazing God indeed! I love that God wastes nothing in this incredible creation of His, and there is something to be learned from every aspect. This example that you used makes me think of what Paul said in Ephesians 4:11-15. I quote,

    "And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers,12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ;13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.14 As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming; 15 but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ."

    We each have an individual purpose within the body of Christ, but this individual purpose cannot be fully realized unless it's accomplished within the bigger picture of the purpose of the body. This purpose is to attain to a mature man, to grow up into Christ, who is THE HEAD of the body. If we do this (in Christ and through Christ), then we will attain to that perfect Bride who is one flesh with Christ.

    But the danger is spelled out here in Ephesians as well. If we don’t grow into that mature man then we are just children who are able to be deceived and carried away by any old doctrine that comes our way! And that’s the problem today, for too many individuals rely on their leaders to learn for them and to tell them what to do, what’s right and what’s wrong, and the leaders do not have the maturing of the body as their end goal. It is here that they so mimic exactly the same trap that the Pharisees and Sadducees (Israel’s leaders) fell into—the desire to keep the power and lordship over the people, rather than let the people rise up to the fullness of maturity. It is pride and ego in the hearts of the leaders that keeps the masses in ignorance, and it is the masses’ complacency that allows it to happen.

    We need to realize that we, as members of the body of Christ, are equal. Yet, we all have different roles within the body for the sole purpose of the body! We need teachers to teach, we need evangelists to evangelize, we need prophets to speak God’s truth, we need shepherds to guard the flock. We need to love one another in that fullness of love that puts it on the same par as loving the Lord with all our heart, mind, and strength. This love is sacrificial, God-serving, all-the-I Corinthians 13-kind-of-love, the love that will show itself in deed and truth…


    1John 3:11-17 For this is the message which you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another; 12 not as Cain, who was of the evil one and slew his brother. And for what reason did he slay him? Because his deeds were evil, and his brother's were righteous. 13 Do not be surprised, brethren, if the world hates you. 14 We know that we have passed out of death into life, because we love the brethren. He who does not love abides in death. 15 Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer; and you know that no murderer has eternal [age-lasuting] life abiding in him. 16 We know love by this, that He laid down His life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 17 But whoever has the world's goods, and sees his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him? 18 Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This old blog is closed but continues now here: https://genericchristianmystic--returns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete